At Parkside our curriculum is designed to inspire and engage children through a broad range of exposure to various art and design. We believe art and design should inspire creativity and imagination, enabling pupils to create art and products within a variety of contexts, and that are able to solve real problems. In design, pupils will become resourceful, innovative and enterprising citizens. In art, children will learn to appreciate art in a variety of contexts, and how it can represent various times in history and emotions. Pupils will apply their science, maths, reading and writing to activities.
We aim to support children to:
- Develop creative and practical expertise
- Develop confidence
- Build and apply knowledge, understand skills, techniques and tools in order to make various pieces and products
- Gain life skills, including but not exclusive to cooking and nutrition
- Recognise art and design in the world around them
- Develop a sophisticated and ambitious vocabulary and express themselves using oracy skills
- Have a growth mindset, and a positive attitude towards art and design
- Be courageous in their creativity, have high aspirations for themselves, resilient in overcoming challenges and excellent in their outcomes.